- Caroline Pace Chermside Award: For the best independent study or thesis by a graduate student in English. Committee directors or readers nominate projects in early April each year. The Graduate Committee selects. Up to $1,000.
- Richard Hoffman GTA Award: For superior teaching by a GTA. Selected in April each year by the Graduate Committee in consultation with the GTA advisors and Director of Composition. $250.
- Emily Morrison Fiction Prize: For award-winning fiction by an MFA student. Selected in April each year. $1,750.
- Emily Morrison Poetry Prize: For award-winning poetry by an MFA student. Selected in April each year. $1750.
- English Department Travel Grant: To support professional activities, such as presentations or readings at national and regional conferences, research, or professional development. Students submit a one-page proposal with details of the activity and its relationship to their academic or teaching goals to the Director of Graduate Studies for review by the Graduate Committee, which recommends appropriate projects to the department chair. Students must complete the university travel forms. Amount varies depending on funds available and the project budget; typically $150-300.
- Knobler Fellowships: Through a gift by Alfred E. Knobler, GTA stipends for MFA students are supplemented.
Students may also be eligible for university research and teaching awards. The Graduate Student Association (GSA) awards some travel funding, which can be used in conjunction with the department grant. See GSA Travel Funding.
Please note that because of policies adopted by the Foundation and Financial Aid, students who win prizes will not receive checks for the prize amount but rather credit toward their tuition or loans.